Mother’s Day is a day for many people to show their appreciation towards mothers and mother figures worldwide. It is an annual event but is held at different dates in the calendar, depending on the country.
What Do People Do?
Many people remember their mothers and mother figures on Mother’s Day. Mother figures may include stepmothers, relatives, mothers-in-law, a guardian (eg. a foster parent), or a family friend. There are many different ways to celebrate Mother’s Day. They include (but are not limited to):
- Giving cards, flowers, or cakes.
- Family gatherings or visits.
- Family breakfasts, brunches, lunches, and dinners either at
- home, at a café or at a restaurant.
- Personal phone calls, particularly from children who live away
- from their mothers and/or mother figures.
- Mother’s Day poems and messages.
- Gifts of chocolate, jewelry, accessories, clothing, hobby equipment or tools, handmade items, or gift vouchers.
- A day at the movies with mothers and/or mother figures.
Mother’s Day is celebrated in different countries, including China where carnations are popular Mother’s Day presents. Some groups in Samoa organize elaborate song and dance performances throughout the country. They celebrate the contributions that mothers make to Samoan society.
19 Things (Almost) Every Mom Wants For Mother’s Day
Realistically, I would be happy with just a longish cuddle from my little minion but we get just one day to be recognised, I can’t speak for everyone but I know a lot of young moms don’t want flowers and chocolates. And neither do we want to be spoiled silly by a fancy brunch or a piece of jewellery.
Here’s a list of seven things, I’d love on any given day (Mother’s Day just seems like a good excuse):
- Not To Be Woken Up
- A Break. Even Five Minutes Will Do!
- Pee In Peace
- A ‘Thank You’ and a ‘Sorry’ Once In a While
- Instead of just signing your name to a store-bought card, make a card that shows how much you really care.
- Even better, write her a heartfelt letter that she can reread from time to time.
- Moms deserve more than just a day, so write her a short note for each week of the year.
- Or make her a coupon book she can redeem whenever she wants.
- Time is the most precious gift you can give. Spend the day with her doing whatever she likes to do.
- …or treating her to a delicious brunch at her favorite restaurant.
- Let the pampering begin by getting her a gift certificate to the salon.
- Or, get her a gift card with explicit instructions that she buy something she wants and not something she needs.
If you won’t be around on Mother’s Day, call your mom and catch up — trust us, she’ll feel the love.
- Flowers are fine, but an Edible Arrangement is even better.
Having family pictures made is a great way to capture your love for mom…
- …or, if you already have tons of great photos, get her a digital photo frame preloaded with family pictures.
- For a mom with younger kids, relatives can find a way to give her some “me time”…
- …and making sure the cooking and cleaning is all taken care of.
But whatever you do, make sure that your mom feels like more than just a mom because, believe it or not, she loves you more than you’ll ever know.
Health Articles written here, are only a guideline. Please consult a doctor before adopting these changes.
ಈ ಅರೋಗ್ಯ ಮಾಹಿತಿಯು ನಿಮಗೆ ಒಂದು ಮಾರ್ಗದರ್ಶಿ ಮಾತ್ರ, ಇದನ್ನು ಪಾಲನೆ ಮಾಡುವ ಮುನ್ನ ವೈದ್ಯರನ್ನು ಸಂಪರ್ಕಿಸಿ..